Never Bring These Plants into Your Home If You Have Pets
7 Sago palms
The tropical-looking sago palms, according to Sara Ochoa, DVM, veterinary expert for doglabs.com, can be extremely harmful to your pets, particularly dogs. She sees these plants “creating difficulties in dogs at least once or twice a year” in her own veterinarian office. These plants, according to Ochoa, “may be fatal to a dog’s liver, resulting in liver failure. Many people are unaware that these are poisonous and keep them in their yards.” “Depression, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhoea may be the first indicators of poisoning,” according to VCA Animal Hospitals.
In many households, jade plants can be found potted atop a table. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) warns that these showy plants can be poisonous to pets. Vomiting, depression, and incoordination may occur if your pet comes into contact with this plant.
Linda Simon, MVB, MRCVS, a consulting veterinarian with FiveBarks, says she frequently observes toxicities in pets after an owner has been given flowers as a gift. Lilies are dangerous to dogs, but they are even more dangerous to cats. “Lilies are extremely harmful to cats, in particular. True lilies like the Stargazer, Peace, and Asiatic lily are among the most poisonous “Simon expresses himself. “Cats can become sick if they eat any part of the plant or drink the water from the vase. Another difficulty is that pollen can fall onto the cat and be licked off by the cat when grooming “Simon continues.
4 Elephant ear
Elephant ear plants are prized for their large, attractive leaves. When a pet comes into contact with it, though, the plant reacts similarly to the philodendron. These plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, according to the Pet Poison Helpline. The crystals will be produced if your pet chews or bites an elephant ear, “causing tissue penetration and irritation of the mouth and system.” The symptoms of the philodendron may then be experienced by pets.
Because they don’t require direct sunshine, philodendrons are popular indoor plants. These plants, however, “contain a particularly specific sort of insoluble calcium oxalate crystal, which might cause discomfort in a dog’s mouth,” according to Vincent. Following contact with these plants, your pet may exhibit symptoms such as drooling, pawing at the mouth, oral pain, decreased appetite, and vomiting, according to Pet Poison Helpline.
2 English ivy
We are all familiar with the itchy blotches that appear after coming into contact with poison ivy. English ivy can have a similar effect on pets. “Ivy may cause rashes in dogs, and if they ingest it, it can cause breathing problems or even paralysis,” Vincent warns. Pets exposed to English ivy may develop vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhoea, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
1 Aloe Vera
While aloe vera is fantastic for soothing human skin, it can be detrimental to pets, according to Leslie Vincent, an expert gardener at Atkins Garden Centre. She notes that the saponins found in this succulent can induce tremors, central nervous system damage, vomiting, and diarrhoea in pets. Aloe vera can also cause depression, anorexia, and changes in urine colour, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.